Transfer FAQs

Expand All
What is an “Articulation Agreement”?

An articulation agreement is an agreement between two schools in which the material covered in a class is related enough for a student to receive credit at either institution.

Where do I send my transcripts?

Send an OFFICIAL copy to:

Office of Admissions
University of California Santa Cruz
1156 High Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95064


An UNOFFICIAL copy to:

Undergraduate Advising Office
Baskin School of Engineering
1156 High Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95064

Fax: 831-459-5333

Why do I need to send them twice?

The Office of Admissions does not send us your transfer credit summary until much later in the quarter. We are able to review and enter prerequisite credit into your portal to avoid delays in enrollment. 

Who evaluates my transcripts?

The Office of Admissions evaluates your courses for units and general education requirements while the Undergraduate Advising Office reviews your transcripts for courses related to the major.

What if my University or College does not have a transfer agreement with UCSC?

If a course you have taken seems similar in content to one of our courses but your school is not listed, you can fill out a Petition for Course Substitution or Waiver form at the Baskin Engineering Undergraduate Advising Office. Submit this form along with a detailed course description and/or syllabus, your grade report for that class, and what textbook and chapters were covered in the class to the Undergraduate Advising Office to be evaluated. If you don’t have all of the material listed above, try to submit as much information about the class as possible.

When can I enroll?

See your Schedule of Classes for dates. If your courses haven’t been evaluated yet you may not be able to enroll in some courses. If you have priority enrollment – USE IT!

Do I need to take the Math Placement Exam?

It depends on what Math you have taken so far. If you have the equivalent to two semesters of Calculus you probably do not need to take the placement exam. Check with the Undergraduate office to be sure.

What do you mean, “I’m not an Engineering major?”

Transfer students enter UCSC as proposed Engineering majors. You are not officially declared until you fill out a Declaration of Major form from your college.

The class I want to enroll in is full?

A certain number of spaces are reserved for transfer students each quarter, but even these spaces can fill up. However, keep trying because spaces can often open up! You should always attend the first day of class and if the class is still full then you may want to consider an alternate schedule.

Why does MyUCSC show that I am missing prerequisites when I know I have already met them?

Check with the Undergraduate Advising Office to make sure your transcripts have been received and evaluated. If not, you will need to send an unofficial copy to the Undergraduate Advising Office. You can also call the enrollment help line at (831) 459-3939, Monday – Thursday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and Friday 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.

How many credits should I enroll in?

The usual course load for a full-time student is 15 –19 credits. However if you want to take more than 19 credits or if you would like to register as a part-time student, you will need to get permission from your college.

What is the difference between a call number and a permission code?

A call number is a five-digit number used to identify a class when enrolling. Most class call numbers are listed in the left-hand column of class listings in the Schedule of Classes.

A permission code is a four-digit number obtained from the instructor when a class requires special permission to enroll (for example, to add a class that is closed or to override a restriction or prerequisite).

If I’m enrolled in a class, am I guaranteed a place?

No. To confirm your place you MUST attend the first class meeting. If you are not present, the instructor may delete your name from the class list and give your place to another student.

Please also consult the Registrar’s FAQ for more information about wait lists.

If you need assistance with adding yourself to a wait list, or have questions about the process, the quickest way to receive assistance is to come to the Advising Counter, located at Engineering Room 225, Monday – Friday during our open hours to speak to a Peer Adviser. If you are unable to make it to the office during these hours, you can send an email to

Last modified: Mar 04, 2024